Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 is in the house at last. The octa core Galaxy S4 that loaded with HDPA+ (without LTE) arrives at Malaysia first. No worry, LTE version of Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 will come later. But it will be powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 instead of Samsung own Exynos 5 Octa SOC. Anyway, it is totally up to personal taste and choice on which version to get. For me, I prefer Exynos 5 Octa with PowerVR SGX544MP3 GPU since no LTE connection at my place yet. It should perform better and faster. Good battery life too thanks to ARM big.LITTLE. Are they true? Let’s find out…
Come on, don’t be shy. Ask any question related to Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 here. I will try my best to answer all of them as soon as possible.
got any know issues/defect? 😛
My second set so far so good. First one has TSP Hovering (Air View) miss alignment a little bit.
Synthetic benchmark please.
Any specific benchmark do you prefer?
Antutu, 3DMark and Sunspider.
Any noticeable flaws? Can show a few lowlight snapshots?
No so far. Sure, will post it after take some.
Hows the battery life?
Just got it. Too soon to tell the battery life. Need several charge cycles to find out.
hi, hows the performance so far? any laggyness or stuttering found? n lastly do you think it worth the upgrade from galaxy s3? 🙂
Good so far. Samsung UI is smooth but some games like Iron Man 3 lags sometimes.
Worth to upgrade or not? Can’t answer it now as still need more time to explore it. But its 1080p screen really look great. 😉
Can do a couple of benchmarks sifu and share with us the result? gfxbench, antutu etc?
Here you are – https://www.jayceooi.com/2013/04/29/samsung-galaxy-s4-gt-i9500-benchmarks/
1. how’s the airview scrolling? smooth like touch?
2. is the wireless charger available by today?
3. how’s the accuracy of sensor like thermo-hygrometer?
4. can its display beat iphone5 or new ipad?
5. is the screen finger print proof?
6. Getting heat up quckly like HTC one x when playing game or movie?
7. how about retina detection? sensitive?
8. Is its Android user friendly like Nexus4?
9. How about voice commend?
10. is it micro or nano sim?
Wow… Lot of questions. I will try my best to answer them all.
1. Good. Yes.
2. No idea. Didn’t look for it.
3. Look correct here.
4. On par. But I still prefer iDevices colour accuracy.
6. Getting warm but not heat up like HTC One X.
7. So far so good.
8. Huh? For me, there are the same. But S4 is loaded with lot of stuffs.
9. Pass my tests.
10. Micro SIM.
how was Exynos 5 octa core performance comapre with sgs3 and Qualcomm Snapdragon series?
I don’t have Snapdragon version with me. But you can compare my benchmarks (when available) with others.
yeah agree with u.
please check ur device memory
send from my I9500 Black Mist 16gb 🙂
Use up to 1 GB (1.82 GB total) without any apps opened.
how about ur internal storage memory
8.92 GB usable.
Can test your phone screen with this gamma test image to see how good it is at black clipping? It’s been a problem since S II.
Can see up to 3 on Movie mode with maximum brightness.
how do you compare it with samsung galaxy note 2 ?
In short, better. But you have smaller screen and no S Pen.
Can u recommend me should i wait for the lte version or just take this non lte version?
Is LTE important for you?
I not so sure.. Because currently my living is non lte coverage so i dunno should i plan for future or not?
Somemore the president of samsung mention the rugged version s4 is in work.. Really confused
How long do you plan to use it before upgrade to another smartphone?
1 year plus.. Currently i using s2 also 1 year 2 month
Hmm… Like that ho. For me, I will change to SGS5 with LTE next year. Whole Malaysia should have LTE coverage by then.
ok.. thanks for advice
Got a lot of questions, but not on PC, so for now just one, please:
Is 9500 really without LTE?
I spoke with the manager of the newly opened Samsung Brand Store in Warsaw, and he was really sure that it will have LTE. At least in Poland, but it shouldn’t differ as it’s the same version, apart from Chinese, Korean and so on versions. Just a normal (GT-I)9500. I was really surprised, since after a brief moment of LTE confirmation on the Internet, most sources started to claim that there’s no LTE in 9500.
Of course, testing LTE without LTE range could be problematic, so maybe a software info or USSD testing code or some good program for checking internal specs could help. Apart from that, only a REALLY good source in Samsung, but we all know testing by ourselves is the best…
Based on specs, no LTE support. Will explore and see it has LTE feature hidden or not. 😛
But i9505 have LTE (class 3 … whatever)
We know man. But the thing is, whether 9500 has LTE or not ; )
It has better CPU and GPU, thus using less battery power, so generally it IS better. Just wish it had FM Radio and was clocked @ 1,8 Ghz like Korean version..
how is the Real Racing 3 running on S4?
Smooth although it is not supported officially.
Pls tell me how’s the battery life.
That’s the only thing I am curious about octa big.LITTLE.
They said it will be much better about 70% increased.
If you can, pls be specific. Cus I’m considering htc one aswell.
This is the second day that I have Galaxy S4. Still too soon to tell the battery life. No worry, will come out a detailed report after few more days.
Thanks, I’m looking forward . Ill be waiting.
can u do drop test 🙂
Sure, will do it after you buy one for me. 😛
just wondering the s-view cover is it a gimmick?
i mean if i cut a hole on top part of a normal flip leather casing it will perform the same? 😛
Nope, there is a special sensor in S View Cover.
Jayce, thank You for answer. If you have LTE after all in 9500, you owe me a beer ; ) But I don’t suppose I’ll be dropping nearby Malaysia soon 😀 Perhaps if WCG will promote something.. then maybe; )
But to the point: could You please answer some more questions? Dropped by on PC so got some more..:
1) Is it possible to exchange the SIM card if metal slot is bended a bit? Normally it isn’t possible I think.
2) VERY important: how is the call quality? I mean mostly the ear-piece, but also the loudspeaker – and of course, the other side (so – microphones). I heard call quality is JUST AVERAGE.. : / Because of the small ear-piece speaker.
3) Also, while at call quality: how does the microphone noise reduction works? On street for example or in wind..
4) Did you find the InfraRed usable? Does it work with just any device, or not?
5) How is the barometer working? I didn’t find its option in S-Health, maybe there’s a dedicated software from Samsung ; I’ve read about SyPressure and pressureNet being quite good programs (one is paid, one is not, if I remember correctly)
6) MHL 2.0: IF you have the adapter (seems like it’s a new standard) – how is the difference in charging the phone? Supposedly 2.0 is charging much faster.. (2x or so :P) Does the screen on TV reacts better? Last time I checked, even connecting to Samsung TV and putting it into Game Mode gave a slight lag.
7) A lot.. of questions about accessories that are included with S4: how long is the charging cable? Does its ends are very bendable, or shitty as those from Apple (the cables break easily) ? What is the charging speed of the charger? (Note 2 has whole 2000, while for example S2 has a bit more than 700…) Headphones: how are they comfortable (they don’t appear 100% ear-friendly)? Is the cable really untanglinble? How is the remote working with Apple devices? 😀
8) Is the pop-up play rescalable? Or is it better to open video app in multi-window?
9) Are there lags in system while: a) adding a contact b) entering dialer c) closing the browser d) going into browser tabs? (9505 has terrible lags on the last one… like 2-3 seconds)
10) How is it precise when you use gloves? I found it.. a bit chaotic. Same goes for using a metal pen or other phone (I used and iPhone and it works ; )
11) Do you have any other accessories beside the default ones? Especially S-View Cover (how are the calls answered/rejected, is the info view in the window customizable?) or Game Pad : P
12) Did You have any chance to try S-Beam/WiFi Direct between S4 and S4 (and if not, then S4 and S3?) It should work VERY fast, cos it’s 802.11 ac..
13) The last one 😛 ( I feel ashamed a bit : P) Is installing the flash possible without problems in the default browser? Does installing it changes the embedded YouTube interface ? (the default one is too simple ; only play/pause, full screen on/off and moving through video..)
Sorry it’s so much, but hopefully I could share something that could be useful for You and everybody by asking those questions : P
rival for my htc one. how’s the octa benchmark?
Good bye htc one..
my score 29022 with 1.6 octa.no doubt 🙂
Hi, i have in my S4 (i9505) problem with WiFi. Icon is “working” but network is unavailable. When i disconnect and connect WiFi again, everything is ok, but not for long.
Hi Cezar, do you face this kind of issue on other Wi-Fi router?
Yes i must try, but my S3 work without any problems. It’s look like the WiFi not wake up. When i turn telephone on, usually at the bottom is information “Connected to …..”. I have this information not always, when it is, WiFi is working. If not, icon is normally turn on but WiFi no.
I have the same issue. It seems to appear when dowloading. the icon looks like it’s only sending and not receiving any data.
As long as I don’t download it seems to work.
Haven tried another wifi yet, but the one with the “issues” is a D-link DIR-655
This seems to be related to the router. see this post:
Yes, i found this info too. After weekend i try to connect to other (than D-LINK) router. Whatever, none of configuration trick on router dont work, even update of firmware. I’m very angry. Maybe Samsung find solution in meantime.
Problem solved, second router (for 20euro) works perfect
Do you notice the top part of your phone gets warm easily after some use especially at the front?
Yes TLIN. All the heavy duty chips are located there.
What do you know about this media server issue?
Referring to xda forum. They said it’s the cause of heating up the phone thus draining the battery power drastically (even up to 2.5 hours for battery life)
1) Are you having this problem?
2) How to fix this problem?
Hi Limbo, I had this media server issue too. Didn’t see it after factory reset. Maybe I don’t have external SD card inside now. Will monitor and troubleshoot it.
Do you have external SD card inside?
I haven’t buy S4 yet,sorry.
Yes,referring to this link forum
They said it is cause due to External SD card and corrupted mp3 something
I studied in Google to check another kind of this issue,
It shows that , a lot of people complaining and suffering about battery life for S4 octa can only last for 2.5 hours. They didn’t realize it was the Media issue problem that caused it.
If you know how to fix this problem,
We , as reader would be gladly appreciate your assistance.
I don’t see media server issue now. Don’t have external SD card now. Will try to test with SD card inside later.
I wish u have HTC One so can compare graphic, screen, battery, camera side by side 🙂
Yes, me too. Still waiting for HTC Malaysia PR to send one over.
AFAIK: GPU is worse (even comparing to 9505) ;
screen is mostly worse (color saturation, black, contrast, and so on are better – for the natural color settings, Samsung has Adobe RGB) – apart from HTC’s display being brighter (but still behaving worse in day-light) ;
battery is sometimes better, sometimes worse – browsing time is quite better on HTC, talk time is on par mostly, standby time and energy saving is better on S4 ;
as for camera, it’s a mixed bag.
Basically: better/greater FoV (field of view) on HTC both in photos and in videos (especially in 1080p when comparing to S4 (the view is ‘cut’ on this phone) AND optical image stabilization which works really good on HTC, AND videos (in good/average light) are plainly better than S4’s (check for yourselves on GSMArena (or eg Mobile-Review or others) for good examples, comparison is quite clear).
However, when it comes to the photos (tho, not speaking of FoV, and having some luck on S4, as its digital stabilization is not good, HTC makes very ‘even’ photos), S4 wins easily in all departments. Videos are comparable in low light, on a side note.
any advice on which services to disable on the S4? TQ.
You can disable whatever services that you don’t need. 😉
So the diff between GT I9505 & I9500 is just the CPU & LTE support rite ??
In your opinion, which should i buy??
Yes. I chose I9500 because I don’t have LTE connection here.
how much is the GT I9500 and the I9505 16GB in your country?
The GT I 9505 16GB (LTE) costs in germany about 600 Euros
THX and very nice site ! HTC HD2 for live 😀
greetings from germany
I9500 = RM 2199.
I9505 = coming soon. 😉
its cheaper …
Do you know when S4 32GB will be come out?
I am waiting for 32GB then straight away dash to the shop to get it.
Sorry Limbo, I have no idea too. Maybe you can consult Samsung Support to the info.
May I know when Malaysia will have Samsung Galaxy S4 with 32GB or 64GB internal storage?
i want to check my deleted images in galaxy s4 ,,,,,, plz reply me as soon as possible.
Hi raza, try undelete app in Play Store.
Hi jayce, i have samsung galaxy s2 and now i want to buy s4..but everyone is saying s4 is not upto the mark…as you might know asphalt 7, modern combat 4, race illegal:high speed lag sometime in s2.I want powerful phone like s4..Many people saying s4 is pure copy of s3 with some upgrade…as i don’t have s3 i should not bother about those..Just want to know your opinion should i buy s4 or not !!
Hi Rabi, just hand on S4. And you will love it especially its Full HD Super AMOLED screen. Definitely worth the upgrade from S2.
Thanks Jayce !! I’m buying s4…
hello jayce is 2gb of ram is enough for s4 for regular use ?? or it became slow ?
and if i disable boatware than will some ram become free or it still reserved ?
More than enough. No lag here.
Yes if that bloatware is using RAM.
Hey Jayce, if i root my s4 then will i get ota update in future ?
Can upgrade with Samsung Kies. But not with OTA.
Sorry for disturbing you once again bro,but i want to know that Android 4.3 support opengl 3.0..so when Samsung release 4.3 update for S4 then will it support opengl 3.0 or opengl 3.0 require any hardware support..? because From a youtube video I saw old nexus 4 running opengl 3.0 test…..
I9500 does not support it. However, I9505 does.
My s4(I9500) didnot recieve 4.3 update till now.. I brought it in malaysia but i am studying in russia.. Both country recieve update long ago
Hi Rio, use Samsung Kies to upgrade see.
How do I know if my galaxy S4 is the I9500 model. I’m trying to buy a new case and some tell me it has to be that model. I don’t see it anywhere…probably a dumb question lol.
Go to Settings – More – About device.
It doesn’t say anything there about whether it’s I9500 or not. 🙁
Would it say if it was?
Yes, the model number will be shown as GT-I9500.
My S4 thermistor temperature (battery temperature) is -25 and when i want charge my phone the “battery temperature is too low”appear and stop charging
please help me
Sorry mk, I never face this issue before. Please consult Samsung Support.