How to install firmware on Samsung Galaxy S III? There are several ways to install firmware on Samsung Galaxy S3 no matter official or custom firmware in tar (or .tar.md5) format. Personally, I still prefer to install Samsung Galaxy S3 firmware with Odin. No need to wait for official firmware release through OTA and Samsung Kies. I can install leaked Samsung Galaxy S3 firmware with Odin. Or try out other region firmware.
Note – You should not face any issue when upgrading to newer official firmware. Your applications and data will be intact. However, you will need to factory reset when you downgrade firmware to older version because you might face boot loop issue. Therefore, make sure you make a backup before install new firmware.
Step by Step Guide
- Go to Settings.
- Select About device.
- Find out your Build number version.
- Then power off Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Press and hold down Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
- Press Volume Up button when warning prompt.
- Odin download mode will be loaded.
- Connect USB cable to your phone.
- At PC, extract firmware .tar (or .tar.md5) file that you downloaded to Firmware folder.
- Then bring up Odin3.
- Click on PDA.
- Select the .tar (or .tar.md5) at Firmware folder.
- Click Start then.
- Remove USB cable from your phone when you see green PASS! at Odin3.
- That’s all and enjoys new firmware.