Every custom firmware for Samsung Galaxy S II should be in ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) zip format. It is easy to install firmware itself (through SD card), update patches, install mod, backup and restore. Note – install a new firmware will replace your existing firmware. Do a full system backup with CWM first if you wish to go back to the previous firmware.
- ClockworkMod Recovery
In order to install firmware in CWM zip format, you need to have ClockworkMod Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S2 first. Follow this guide to install CWM ~ How to install ClockworkMod Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S2?
Step by Step Guide
- First of all, copy the firmware zip file that you want to install into sdcard (internal).
- Press and hold down Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
- Release all buttons when you see SGS2 Logo.
- ClockworkMod Recovery will be loaded then.
- Select wipe data/factory reset. (You can skip this step if upgrade from same firmware)
- Then select Yes — delete all user data.
- Select wipe cache partition. (You can skip this step if upgrade from same firmware)
- Then select Yes — Wipe Cache.
- Go to install zip from sdcard.
- Then select choose zip from sdcard.
- Select your zip file (VillainROM-2.4.2-signed.zip in my video).
- Select Yes – Install your zip file.
- Reboot your SGS2.
- That’s all.
Enjoy your new installed custom firmware.