Looking a new mobile phone make me to study lot of new stuffs. There is another new display technology (to me) called organic light emitting diode (OLED). The widely common use now is thin film transistor (TFT) LCD technology. Most of the LCD monitor is using this TFT LCD like my Dell UltraSharp U2410 which use H-IPS panel. Each of the display technology has it own advantages and disadvantages. So choose wisely.
Advantages of OLED
- Thinner, lighter and more flexible
- Better viewing angle.
- Brighter, vivid colours.
- Better contrast (both dynamic range and static).
- Faster colour switching, reducing ghosting or blurring effects ~ 0.01ms response time.
- Consume less power compare to LCD.
Disadvantages of OLED
- Limited lifetime of the organic materials ~ around 14,000 hours (five years at 8 hours a day)
Samsung uses Active Matrix OLED (AMOLED) on its mobile phone. Check out below video on AMOLED(WB1000) vs TFT LCD(IXUS 990IS).
Based on the comparison, no further explanation needed. I will go for OLED.